Wednesday 13 November 2013

Penguin "glittens"!

So about a month ago, my friend asked me to make some penguin mittens/fingerless gloves for her. It took me so long to work out how to make them, but I've finally done it! It will be much easier to make next time :)



To make the gloves/mittens, I used this pattern here as my friend is 6ft+ and therefore has larger hands, so I used a pattern designed for men. I used a 5mm (H) crochet hook and DK (worsted weight)  yarn in black. I decided not to crochet the individual fingers and just make it as I make my other fingerless gloves. I also added a loop at the top of the mitten so the mitten part could be held back with a button.


The pattern requires a lot of counting and I had to unpick and re-crochet a lot of the first mitten. Quick tip: read the pattern thoroughly before you start each row!! 

Once I finished the base, I had to make the penguin face. I didn't know how to do it so I had a look around on Ravelry and I found a great pattern for a hat. I used this pattern for the face, but with a 3.5mm crochet hook so it's smaller. For the eyes, I made a magic ring and DC (SC) 8 into the ring and then fastened off and tightened the ring. The beak I kind of made up... (US terms are in brackets)

CH2,
R1: 2 DC (SC) in second chain from hook, ch1 turn
R2: 2 DC (SC) in each stitch, ch1, turn
R3: 2 DC (SC) in first st, 1 DC (SC) in 2 st, 2 DC (SC) in last st, ch1, turn
R4: 2 DC (SC) in first st, 1 DC (SC) in 4 st, 2 DC (SC) in last st

Fasten off.






I'm so proud of these mittens! I will definitely be making more to post on my online shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment